Monday, October 12, 2009

To Honor Great Grandad

A few weeks ago, we attended a ceremony that honored Dan's Grandad who passed away a couple of years ago. Grandad was always so kind and loving with me. He was a very intelligent man. One of those men who just knew everything about everything. He was a bee keeper in his day and made some pretty great honey. I love listening to stories from when Dan and his siblings were younger and they would go help Grandad get the honey from the bee hives. I guess it was this part of him that made him a scientist so I guess you could say he and I had a special bond. He would always send me articles about science and about whatever company I was working for at the time. When we would visit with him he would sit and tell me some of the best stories. I will always cherish the memories that I have with him. Dan and I were glad that Jarred got to meet his great Grandad and we know Grandad was so happy to get to meet his first great grandchild.

So, back to a few weeks ago. Grandad was a firefighter and was on the rescue squad. The fire department that he was a chief at held a ceremony to honor Grandad and all of his service. It was great getting to see the firetrucks and getting to hear the memories people had of Grandad. At the beginning of the ceremony, a firetruck pulled out of the firehouse and the firefighters stood in front of it. Well, at the end of the ceremony, all of the firefighters stood in salute and the firehouse bell rang. As it rang, the fire truck backed into the firehouse symbolizing the end of Grandad's service. It was a very touching moment.



We love you very much Grandad and miss you and Grammy every day!
Remember to pause the music at the bottom of the page before starting the slideshow.


1 comment:

M.C (not Hammer) said...

the fire department honor makes me teary, being a future firefighter wife. that is awesome they honored Dan's Granddad. he sounds like he was an amazing man.